Policy Progress: The Government Adopted the Concept for Reforming the Procurement of Medicines and Medical Devices
The Concept for Reforming the Procurement of Medicines and Medical Devices, Aids, and Other Medical Products was adopted by the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine on September 26.
The Concept is aimed at establishing an effective mechanism of providing medicines for the patient to receive high-quality treatment in the most convenient way.
The Concept will be implemented during 2018-2021 and includes the following phases:
- Creation of a Central Procurement Agency (CPA)
- Procurement of strategic programs at the expense of the state budget (vaccines, infectious diseases), as well as patented expensive medicines
- Framework purchases for the whole country
- Formation and maintenance of electronic catalogs
- Professionalization of procurement of medicines and medical devices
- Work with the market to reduce prices, including reimbursement
Chamber Members continuously support the reform of procurement of medicines and medical devices, hence the Chamber was actively involved in the process of development of the Concept as it creates new opportunities for business enabling it to work directly with the customers through the CPA.